If you love Coconut and Healthy Desserts, you’ll love this Coconut Agar-agar Jelly. Recently, I noticed that Coconut Jelly in Coconut Shell is widely sold in supermarkets. So I thought it would be a good idea to try this.
Only 2-3 ingredients in this recipe – fresh coconut and agar-agar powder. If you prefer your jelly to be sweeter, add sugar to taste
Healthy dessert recipe – fresh ingredients used and don’t have to add any sugar. Also, agar-agar is made from seaweed which is packed with minerals.
What Jelly Powder to Use?
You can use Agar-agar Powder or Jelly powder or Konnyaku Powder. For Agar-agar powder, the jelly will be more stiff, firm and crunchy. As for Jelly or Konnyaku Powder, it will be more elastic, bouncy like Jello. I used Agar-agar powder in this recipe.
Is there any difference serving in a Coconut Shell?
There is no difference in taste and texture. Just for presentation. So if you don’t want to pour into the Coconut Shell, you can pour into any mould.
- Recommend to use Thai Fragrant Coconut as the Coconut Water is sweeter.
- Choose younger coconut as it is difficult to get any coconut flesh from old coconuts. I noticed that younger ones have lighter outer shell and the shell is more smooth.
- Mix the agar-agar powder and coconut water well before cooking to avoid lumps from forming.
- I used a standard ratio of agar-agar powder to liquid. So the texture is quite firm. If you prefer softer jelly texture, you can reduce the agar-agar powder by 1-2 grams. Also, if you prefer more elastic and bouncy jelly, you can use jelly or konnyaku powder instead of agar-agar powder.
- While cooking, mix occasionally to avoid lumps from forming.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Agar-agar?
Agar-agar is extracted from seaweed. It is plant based, hence, it is used by vegetarians or vegans as a substitute for gelatin. Agar-agar is widely available in Asia.
My jelly texture is too soft/firm, can I change the texture?
Yes, you can. The texture of the jelly is based on the ratio of water/liquid to agar-agar powder. So if you prefer softer texture, reduce the jelly powder or vice versa.
Why does my jelly not set?
Different brand of jelly powder have different liquid to agar-agar powder ratio. Generally the ratio is 1g powder = 100ml liquid but may differ from brand to brand.
What is the texture of agar-agar?
Agar-agar texture is more firm compared to gelatin. Hence it is not so jiggly and springy.
- 2 fresh coconut (measure the coconut water) 900 ml 2个椰子（测量椰子水）900毫升
- 9 grams agar-agar powder/jelly powder (based on 900 ml coconut water) 9克燕菜粉/果冻粉
- Sugar - I didn't add as the coconut water is sweet, adjust sugar to taste 糖-我没有加，因为椰子水已经甜了，可以根据口味调整糖的用量
- Measure coconut water. Remove coconut flesh and cut into small strips. Set aside.
- In this recipe, the amount of coconut water is 900 ml. So the