Easy and simple to follow Pineapple Tart recipe you’ll love making. The crust for this Pineapple Tart is light, buttery and crumbly and taste really delicious with pineapple jam.
What are Pineapple Tarts?
Pineapple Tart is a classic popular cookie during Chinese New Year (“CNY”) celebrations in Malaysia. Honestly, this is the only CNY cookie that I look forward to every Chinese New Year when I was little. Pineapple Tarts are basically pastry cookies with a pineapple jam filling. Nowadays, these Pineapple Tarts are also enjoyed during Christmas and Hari Raya and sold in stores all year round.
Why you’ll love this Pineapple Tart Recipe?
The crust for this Pineapple Tart is light, buttery, crumbly and fragrant. There are many variations of Pineapple crust. Some are melt in the mouth, very crumbly but I find it break down too easily when you lift them. The crust for this Pineapple Tart is not the melt in the mouth type but it has a nice buttery and light texture and does not break apart easily and it is not dense and fragrant.
It is also very simple and straightforward to make. Nothing too tricky or could easily go wrong.
I made these for my family and friends and now they want to order these for the next Chinese New Year celebrations!
How to make Pineapple Tart Jam/Filling?
You can use store bought Pineapple Jam or you can make your own Pineapple Jam. It is more time consuming to make your own Pineapple Jam but it is much more delicious than store bought ones. Here I have a delicious Pineapple Jam recipe that I made from scratch. It is very easy to follow and I guarantee you will love it! Click here for video recipe: https://youtu.be/RF0oidEBPIo
What tools do I need to make these Pineapple Tarts?
For this recipe, I used a Pineapple Tart cookie press. If you don’t have a cookie press, you can roll the cookie dough into a ball and place the pineapple jam in the middle of the cookie dough and seal the edges. Take note that it will take more time if you do this method.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use All Purpose Flour for this recipe?
Yes you can use all purpose flour. The texture of the crust primarily depends on the type and quality of flour used. If you use a softer wheat flour, the texture of the crust will be more fine. Example if you use superfine flour which is made from fine wheat flour, the texture will be less coarse compared to all purpose flour.
For the crust:
- 140 grams cake flour 蛋糕面粉 140克
- 20 grams milk powder 牛奶粉20克
- 20 grams custard powder 蛋黄粉20克
- 30 grams cornstarch 玉米淀粉 30克
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 泡打粉 1/2茶匙
- 125 grams softened butter (salted) 黄油，软 （咸）125克
- 35 grams icing sugar 糖粉 35克
- 20 grams evaporated milk 淡奶 20克
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature) 蛋黄, 室温度 1粒
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 香草精 1/2茶匙
For the Pineapple Jam Filling:
- 2.5 kg pineapple flesh （4 .2 kg whole pineapple) 2.5公斤黄梨肉 （4.2公斤黄梨）
- 350 grams honey rock sugar/ rock sugar 350克蜂蜜冰糖/冰糖
- 20 ml vegetable oil 20 毫升菜油
- 3 tablespoon maltose 3汤匙麦芽糖
- 1 egg yolk 蛋黄 1个 + 1 tablespoon milk 牛奶 1 汤匙
- Prepare pineapple filling. Roll 9 grams of pineapple jam into a ball and set aside. Prepare 50 pieces.
- Place the dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Place butter and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until the butter turn pale and fluffy. Add egg yolk (room temperature) and vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Scrape the side of the bowl if necessary. Add evaporated milk. Beat until combined
- Gently add in the mixed dry ingredients until there are no traces of dry flour. The dough should not stick to your fingers. Place in the fridge for 15 mins. It will be easier to work with later.
- Use pineapple cookie press to press out the dough. Jagged section facing down. Suggest to put only half so that it is easier to press out. Place pineapple jam ball on the pressed dough. Roll the dough over the pineapple jam ball. Use a scraper to cut excess dough.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Bake at 170°C for 30-35 mins. Turn the tray if not evenly baked. Once it turns golden brown it should be done.
- Let it cool down completely, then keep in airtight container.