Make these Honey Fruit Tea Agar-agar Jelly Mooncake this Mid Autumn Festival! They are so easy to make and healthier than classic mooncakes. The combination of flavours are similar to Honey Lemon Tea and it goes very well with fruits.
Healthier Version – You can make a healthy version by reducing sugar or you can also replace the sugar with honey.
Mooncake is a traditionally eaten during Mid Autumn Festival. Classic mooncake is baked with pastry skin and filled with lotus paste or red bean paste. Making these classic pastry type mooncake can be quite time consuming. So in recently years, jelly mooncake has become a popular trend.
Flavour inspiration from @Little Duck’s Kitchen
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Agar-agar?
Agar-agar is extracted from seaweed. It is plant based, hence, it is used by vegetarians or vegans as a substitute for gelatin. Agar-agar is widely available in Asia.
My jelly texture is too soft/firm, can I change the texture?
Yes, you can. The texture of the jelly is based on the ratio of water/liquid to agar-agar powder. So if you prefer softer texture, reduce the jelly powder or vice versa.
Why does my jelly not set?
Different brand of jelly powder have different liquid to agar-agar powder ratio. Generally the ratio is 1g powder = 100ml liquid but may differ from brand to brand.
What is the texture of agar-agar?
Agar-agar texture is more firm compared to gelatin. Hence it is not so jiggly and springy.
Why is my agar-agar watery after removing from the mold?
Agar-agar tend to release water upon removal from the mold. Recommend to remove from the mold just before serving to guest.
Why did you add Konnyaku Jelly Powder?
Konnyaku Jelly Powder makes the jelly more springy. Also as agar-agar tend to release water after unmoulding, Konnyaku Jelly Powder helps to retain water thus the jelly will release less
water after unmoulding. If you don’t have konnyaku powder, you can replace with agar powder
Troubleshooting – My jelly did not set, what can I do about it?
Step 1 – If it is your first time trying the recipe there is a test you can do. Before pouring into the mold, just scoop up a very little portion into a small saucer. Place it into the fridge to set. It should take about less than 5 minutes. Check the texture of the jelly. If you are happy with it, the proceed to pour into the mold. If it did not set, add more jelly powder (before adding the powder, dilute it in some room temperature water first) and boil the liquid again. If the texture is too stiff/hard, add more water and boil the liquid again.
Step 2 – If you have already poured into the mold and eventually find out that it did not set, you can pour the liquid into the pot again, add jelly powder, stir well and boil again. Then repeat the above step to test the jelly.
- 5 grams agar-agar powder 燕菜粉 5克
- 1 gram konnyaku powder 水晶蒟蒻果冻粉 1克
- 600 ml water, room temperature 水，室温度 600毫升
- 70-90 grams sugar 糖，70-90克
- 1 teabag 茶包 1包
- 1 tablespoon honey 蜂蜜 1汤匙
- Few drops lemon 几滴柠檬
- Oil the jelly mould. Set aside.
- Prepare fruits, cut into desired shape and sizes.
- In a bowl, add sugar, agar powder and konnyaku powder. Mix well so that there will be no lumps when you cook it.
- In a pot, add in water, then the mixed sugar and jelly powder. Mix well. Place on the stove and cook on low heat until it boils. Stir often while the cooking to avoid lumps from forming.
- When the mixture boils, off the stove. Add tea bag, honey and lemon. Gently mix until the tea flavour steep into the jelly mixture. Once you are happy with the strength of the tea flavour, remove the tea bag.
- Pour the jelly mixture into the moulds up to 2/3 height. Keep the remaining liquid hot by placing it on the stove. Switch on lowest heat to keep it hot.
- Add in the fruits. Fill up the remaining mould with jelly mixture if necessary.
- Fill up other moulds with leftover fruits and jelly mixture.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 2 hours. Remove from mould and serve. To remove from mould, gently press the sides and top of the mould.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.