If you have not made Pumpkin buns, you definitely have to try my Pumpkin Steam Buns.
These steam buns are moist, soft and fluffy and the pumpkin taste sweet and fragrant.
Easy breakfast idea – Pumpkin buns are a favourite with the kids. Prepare these steams buns in advance and freeze them. When you want to prepare breakfast, just remove from the freezer and steam.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
I do not have a bamboo basket, how do I steam the buns?
The bamboo basket is ideal for steaming because of water condensation. If you don’t have a bamboo basket, recommend to wrap the cover with a cloth to avoid the water from dripping onto the buns
Can I substitute baking soda for baking powder?
The answer is NO. You cannot use baking soda because the steam buns will become yellow
Why does my bun have yellow specs?
Yellow specs are caused by the baking powder. There are two reasons for this. The main reason is the type of baking powder. I had this experience before and I realised that some baking powders are made from wheat flour while some are made from cornstarch. It is recommended to choose baking powder made from cornstarch to avoid the yellow specs. Second reason might be because the baking powder was not kneaded well with the dough.
Why is my bun skin not smooth?
When flattening the dough, gently use some pressure to remove as much air bubbles as possible.
Another reason might also be due to the baking powder used. Based on my experience, different baking powder give different results.
How to keep Steamed Baozi?
Let the steam bun cool to room temperature. Recommend to keep baozi in an airtight container, then place it in the fridge or freezer. Leave some space between each buns as it tends to stick to each other when frozen.
If kept in the fridge, it can last for about 3-5 days. When ready to eat, remove from fridge and steam for about 10 minutes on high heat (NOTE: time based on water preboiled before steaming). Serve warm to enjoy.
If kept in the freezer, it can last for about 1-2 weeks. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and steam for about 15 minutes on high heat (NOTE: time based on water preboiled before steaming). Serve warm to enjoy.
Why is my baozi not as soft and fluffy when cold or at room temperature?
Baozi becomes tougher when left at room temperature or cold. Baozi is always served warm or right after steaming from the steamer.
Once its cold, steam the baozi again to enjoy the soft and fluffy baozi when its warm
Can I use Hong Kong flour to substitute All Purpose Flour?
I tried using Hong Kong flour for this recipe but the Pumpkin buns turn out gooey and sticky. So I don’t recommend for this recipe.
- 20 grams wheat starch 澄粉 20克
- 130 grams plain flour 中筋面粉 130克
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 泡打粉 1/2 茶匙
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast 速溶酵母粉 1/2 茶匙
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature) 蛋黄 1个
- 40 grams brown sugar 红糖 40克
- 10 grams icing sugar 糖分 10克
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essense 香草精 1/2 茶匙
- 100 grams pumpkin (without skin) 南瓜 （无皮）100克
- 30 ml vegetable oil 菜油 30毫升
- Cut pumpkin into thin slices. Preboil water. Steam on high heat until soft.
- Remove any excess water. Mash until puree. Then set aside. Cool to room temperature.
- Add dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix well. Then set aside.
- In another bowl, add egg yolk, brown sugar, icing sugar. Mix until creamy.
- Add vanilla extract. Add pumpkin puree (room temperature). Mix well.
- Then add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient. Form a dough.
- Transfer to a working surface. Add oil. Add only little at the time while kneading. As the dough is sticky, adding the oil will reduce the stickiness. Note that this dough will feel oily while kneading.
- Knead for 10 minutes. You should get a smooth dough by then.
- Rest dough for 5 minutes. Then, knock off the air bubbles.
- Divide to 7 equal pieces. Cover with a cloth to avoid the dough from drying out.
- Roll each dough into a ball. See video for technique.
- Place onto baking paper, then onto a steam basket.
- Proof until dough become swollen and smooth. About 1 hour. My room temperature was 29°C
- Steam for 10 minutes on high heat. Do NOT preboil water.
- Off stove, wait for 5 minutes, do NOT open the lid as buns might shrink.
- Serve warm.
- This dough is quite oily when kneading, the oil is to help the dough become more moist.
- When flattening the dough, gently use some pressure to remove as much air bubbles as possible.
- Do not PREBOIL the water before placing the steam basket to steam.
- Make sure the level of the steam basket is above the water level
- Best eaten warm. Baozi is soft and fluffy when its warm
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.