This Gula Melaka Agar-agar Jelly is very simple. Agar-agar is a jelly-like substance extracted from algae and used as a vegetarian substitute for gelatin.
The original Gula Melaka agar-agar recipe has eggs. It is more fragrant with eggs but this jelly recipe is for those who don’t consume eggs or don’t like eggy taste. Also, it is easier to make. This agar-agar jelly has a coconut milk layer at the top and clear agar-agar jelly layer at the base. After cooking, the agar-agar jelly will naturally separate into 2 layers. There are a few important steps which I’ll share in this video.
Important updates and tips:
- The agar-agar texture for this recipe is slightly firm. The firmness of the agar-agar jelly depends on the water amount, if you prefer softer texture, can add 100 ml water. 这个食谱的燕菜稍微硬脆，喜欢比较软的可以加100毫升水
- 10 grams agar-agar powder 燕菜粉 10克
- 100 grams gula melaka, palm sugar 马六甲椰糖 100克
- 100 grams brown sugar 红糖 100克
- 800 ml water （room temperature) 水，室温度 800毫升
- 5-6 pandan leaves 香兰叶 4-5片
- 200 ml coconut milk 椰奶 200毫升
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 盐 1/4茶匙