This Wool Roll Bread recipes makes soft and fluffy bread just like soft buns at the Chinese Bakery. The bread texture is cotton soft and fine not the chewy type.
One of my YouTube subscribers requested for the recipe. I’m not an expert in making bread. So I went on a quest to experiment ingredients and methods that make soft and fluffy bread like those in the Japanese and Chinese bakery. After many trials, I decided to use the same concept I use to make my steam buns. That is to mix the bread flour with another flour. And finally after adding cornstarch to the bread ingredients, I managed to get really delicate, soft and fluffy bread just like the Chinese Bakery soft buns.
Wool Roll Bread has been a viral recipe for the past month. The bread looks like a lovely roll of wool yarn hence its name Wool Roll Bread. What makes it super popular is its versatility. You can place any filling in the bread like nuts, fruits, chocolate, custard etc.
- Do not over proof the bread for 2nd proof. If you proof more than double, the air bubbles will collapse and the bread will not be fluffy
- After removing from the oven, do NOT remove the bread from the mould immediately. Allow the bread to rest for 10-15 minutes in the mould. This will help the bread to continue baking during the resting time.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I store the bread?
The bread can be stored in an airtight container. If left outside, it should last 2-3 days. You can also store in the fridge or freezer
What type of mould should I use?
If you use aluminium mould, the base of the bread will be not be golden brown. If you use carbon steel, the base of the bread will become golden brown
Why is my dough sticky or dry?
The water absorption rate for different flour is different. If after kneading for 5-6 minutes, you find that your dough is very wet, just sprinkle some flour. If you find it dry, just dap some water
Why is the inside of my bread sticky?
Bread is sticky might a few reasons. Firstly, it is under baked. Or too much moisture.
Why do you add cornstarch?
Cornstarch is the key to cotton soft bread. Its an easy method to soften the texture of the bread. I have done quite a few experiments and I find that adding cornstarch really makes the bread soft and the texture more fine like those at Chinese or Japanese Bakery.
- 280 grams bread flour 高筋面粉 280克
- 45 grams cornstarch 玉米淀粉 45克
- 100 ml water (room temperature) 水，室温度 100毫升
- 110 ml milk (room temperature) 牛奶，室温度 110毫升
- 60 grams sugar 糖 60克
- 2 grams (1/4 teaspoon) salt 盐 1/4茶匙 2克
- 4 grams (1 teaspoon ) yeast 速溶酵母 1茶匙 4克
- 30 grams butter (cold) 黄油 30克 （冷）
- some toasted walnuts or dried fruits for the filling 少量核桃或干果
- 8 inch diameter round mould 直径8英寸的圆形模具
Step-by-step method for Wool Roll Bread | 毛线球面包: