Fried Spring Roll is a popular snack or appetizer in Malaysia. Spring roll is a very thin layer of pastry wrapped with meat or vegetable filling. There is also fresh spring rolls known as Popiah. Popiah in Hokkien Chinese means thin pastry. Fried spring rolls are also served in dim sum restaurants mostly with prawn filling.
- Use vegetables that release less moisture
- When wrapping the spring roll, make sure the edges are all sealed properly. That is there is no leakage. This is important because if it is not sealed properly, when any liquid leaks from the spring roll, the oil will splatter all over.
- Best to eat right after frying for the spring rolls to be crunchy and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Spring Roll Wrappers to use?
There are a few types of spring roll wrappers. I’m using the paper thin spring roll wrappers, not the egg roll wrappers or rice paper wrappers
How hot should the oil be?
Ok I don’t normally use a thermometer to measure the temperature. I use medium heat to fry the spring rolls. If the oil is too hot, the spring rolls will burn easily. If the oil is too low temperature, then the spring rolls will be very oily after frying.
If I make a huge batch, can I freeze them?
If you do not intend to eat all of the spring rolls, recommend to freeze the spring rolls before frying. Place the spring rolls in an airtight container. Do not place it too close to each other as it will stick. Fry the spring rolls when you want to serve.
What filling can I use?
You can use any filling you like, just as long as the vegetables you use does not release too much moisture
Spring Roll Filling:
- 1 medium to large （750-800 grams) yambean (also known as jicama, sengkuang or mengkuang) 沙葛 1粒 (中,大) 750-800克
- 5-6 mushrooms, rehydrated 冬菇 5-6粒，泡软
- 1 medium to large carrot 胡萝卜 1个 （中，大）
- One handful dried shrimps 一把虾米
- One handful black fungus (optional) 1把黑木耳
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 蒜头，剁碎 3瓣
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water or chicken stock 水或鸡汤 60毫升（1/4杯）
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce 生抽 1汤匙
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 盐 1/2茶匙
- 1 teaspoon sugar 糖 1茶匙
- 1/2 teaspoon white rice vinegar 米醋 1/2茶匙
Spring Roll Wrapper:
- 7.5″ x 7.5″ (19cm x 19cm) spring roll popiah wrapper 春卷皮 7.5″ x 7.5″ (19 x 19厘米)
- Oyster sauce (you can also add oyster sauce but I didn’t include in the video) 蚝油 无放入也可以
Method on How to make Fried Spring Roll | 春卷：