Chinese Steamed Custard Buns with 1 time proof method produces more soft and fluffy buns and the custard bun’s skin surface is smoother. I also mix a few flours to get a soft dough texture. In this steam custard bun recipe, I used superfine flour. But you can use plain/all purpose flour. If possilbe, try to use superfine flour as it give a softer and finer texture.
I normally use Hong Kong flour to make custard buns but based on feedback , it may not be easily available. So I tried to come out with a method that is suitable for plain flour/all purpose flour and cake flour. I finally perfected it and can’t wait to share it with all of you. Serve warm.
The baozi dough for this custard bun recipe is tender, soft and fluffy. The custard is made mainly from egg yolks and milk and is very creamy after you steam it. I have previously shared another steamed custard bun recipe that uses Hong Kong flour. Those buns are also soft and fluffy, similar to restaurant like custard buns. See link https://youtu.be/QbXUGl8IoB8
Chinese Steam Custard Buns are Dim Sum favourites! You can find it in almost all Chinese Restaurants that serve Dim Sum. They are also called “Nai Wong Bao 奶黄包 ”. These steamed buns are different from “Liu Sha Bao 流沙包 ” . “Liu Sha Bao” also known as custard buns are made from duck eggs.
- Type and quality of the flour is very important when it comes to colour and texture. I use PRIMA brand TOP flour. This flour is a type of superfine plain flour with 9.5% protein content. See picture below. This flour produces buns that are more white and softer texture. If you use plain flour/all purpose flour, the colour is not as white and the texture will be slightly chewy but the buns are still soft and fluffy
- Do not preboil water for this recipe. Place the steam basket on room temperature water. Then only switch on the stove to high heat
- Do not open the cover immediately after steaming. Remember to switch off the stove. Wait for 5 minutes before opening the cover. If not the baozi will/may shrink.
- Serve the baozi warm right after steaming. Best eaten warm. Baozi is soft and fluffy when its warm
- For custard filling. Recommended to use butter that do not melt too quickly at room temperature. This makes it easier to shape the custard filling
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to keep Steamed Baozi?
Let the steam bun cool to room temperature. Then keep baozi in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
If kept in the fridge, it can last for about 1 week. When ready to eat, remove from fridge and steam for about 10 minutes on high heat. (note: water preboiled before steaming). Serve warm to enjoy.
If kept in the freezer, it can last for about 2-3 weeks. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and steam for about 15 minutes on high heat. (note: water preboiled before steaming). Serve warm to enjoy.
Why is my baozi not as soft and fluffy when cold or at room temperature?
Baozi or any steam cakes or breads becomes tougher when left at room temperature or cold. Baozi is always served warm or right after steaming from the steamer.
Once its cold, steam the baozi again to enjoy it the soft and fluffy baozi when its warm
Why are my buns not as white?
The flour type and quality will determine the colour and texture of the flour. If you use superfine/superfine plain flour, the colour is more white. But if you use plain flour or all purpose flour, the colour is slightly beige colour
Why are my buns chewy?
The flour type and quality will determine the colour and texture of the flour. If you use superfine/superfine plain flour, the texture is softer. But if you use plain flour or all purpose flour, the texture is slightly more chewy
I do not have superfine flour, can I use plain flour/all purpose flour?
Yes, for this recipe, you can use plain flour or all purpose flour. The buns will not be as white as superfine flour and the texture will be slightly chewy
Especially plain flour/all purpose flour from European brand, US and Australia, the flour may produce buns that are not so white and more chewy
- 3 egg yolks, room temperature 蛋黄, 室温度 3个
- 150 ml (1/2 cup + 1-1/2 tablespoon milk) 牛奶 150毫升 1/2杯 + 1-1/2汤匙
- 75 grams sugar (1/3 cup +1/2 tablespoon ) 白糖 75克 1/3杯 + 1/2汤匙
- 20 grams (3 tablespoon) cake flour 低筋面粉 20克 3汤匙
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) salted butter 咸黄油 50克 1/4杯 (butter has to be salted, if not the butter will separate from the custard)
- 160 grams (1-1/4 cup ) superfine flour/plain flour/all purpose flour 细腻中筋面粉/中筋面粉 160克 （1-1/4杯）
- 40 grams (1/4 cup + 1-1/2 tablespoon) cake flour 低筋面粉 40克 （1/4杯 + 1-1/2 汤匙）
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) wheat starch 澄粉 30克 （1/4杯）
- 45 grams (1/3 cup + 1 teaspoon) icing sugar 糖粉 45克 （1/3杯 + 1茶匙）
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 泡打粉 1/2茶匙
- 3/4 teaspoon yeast (instant) 速溶酵母 3/4茶匙
- 130 ml (1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon) water (room temperature) 水，室温度 130毫升 （1/2杯 + 1茶匙）
- 30 ml (2 tablespoon) vegetable oil 菜油 30毫升 （2汤匙）