Ever since I made bread using rice cooker, I have been totally hooked on it. I find that bread can also be very, moist, soft and fluffy even with rice cooker. I believe its the steam in the rice cooker that gives it the extra moisture.
I have been experimenting with different types of bread textures and filling. One of my latest creations is an almond bread swirl baked with a rice cooker. It is a light bread using almond milk and filled with ground almond butter cream.
|Prep Time||Proof Time||Cooking Time||Serves|
|30 minutes||2 hour||40 minutes||7-8 persons|
- 3/4 cups toasted almond nuts (use blender to process almonds into coarsely ground almonds) 烤热杏仁 3/4杯
- 60 grams ( 1/3 cup ) sugar 糖 60克 （1/3杯）
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) softened butter 黄油 （软） 60克 （1/4杯）
- a pinch of salt 少许盐
- 1 egg 鸡蛋1粒
- 300 grams (2-1/3 cup) bread flour 高筋面粉 300克 （2-1/3杯）
- 200-210 ml (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) almond milk, lukewarm 杏仁奶 200-210毫升（3/4杯+1汤匙）
- 30 grams (2-1/2 tablespoon) sugar 糖 30克 （2-1/2汤匙）
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 盐1/4茶匙
- 4 grams (1 teaspoon) yeast 酵母 4克 （1茶匙）
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil 菜油 15克
- Prepare the filling. Mix ground almonds, sugar, salt. Rub in the softened butter. Add egg and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Add yeast and a pinch of sugar into the almond milk. Wait for a few minutes until it turns foamy
- While waiting, mix the flour, remaining sugar and salt. Add the almond milk and yeast mixture. Mix well. Form a dough
- Place dough onto a work surface. Add oil a little at a time for first 8 minutes while kneading dough. Knead the dough until all the oil is absorbed. Dough will feel bouncy and springy
- Cover dough and proof for 1 hour or until double in size. Current temperature is 29°C. If your area is colder, then it will take longer for the dough to double in size
- While waiting, oil the rice cooker pot with butter to prevent the bread from getting stuck to the pot
- Once the dough is double in size, knock out all the air. Flatten into a large disk with a rolling pin.
- Fold into half, then flatten again. Repeat another time
- Flatten into a 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Place the filling onto half the rectangle. See video for shaping of the dough.
- Place in the rice cooker pot. Proof another 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake 30 minutes, bread function. If you don’t have bread function, you can use rice function. Cooking time varies with different rice cooker and function.
- After the first bake, remove the pot from the rice cooker. Place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes
- Then flip the bread and bake another 10 minutes or until the top part is golden brown. Cooking time varies with different rice cooker and function.
- Remove the let cool. Brush the top with honey and sprinkle with almond flakes (optional). Can serve warm or at room temperature
Video on Almond Bread in Rice Cooker | 杏仁奶面包：