Steamed Banana Cake is very delicious especially when its soft, moist and fluffy. However, steaming banana cakes can also be tricky. Sometimes it may not rise well and might be too moist. Nonetheless, a few simple steps will help to make a balanced moist and fluffy cake. This steamed banana cake recipe is packed with bananas to get the natural sweetness from the bananas. The ingredients and steps for this banana cake recipe makes soft, moist and fluffy banana cake.
- 3 medium or 2 large size overripe bananas (1 cup of mashed banana) 过熟香蕉 3跟中等大或2跟大粒 （香蕉泥 1杯）
- 150 grams (1 cup + 4 tablespoons) cake flour or superfine flour 低筋面粉 150克 (1杯+4汤匙）
- 2 eggs, room temperature 室温鸡蛋 2粒
- 125 grams (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon) salted butter (softened) 盐牛油,软的 125克 (1/2杯+1汤匙）
- 125 grams (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon) caster sugar 细砂糖 125克 （1/2杯+2汤匙）
- 2 teaspoon baking powder 泡打粉 2茶匙
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 盐 1/2茶匙
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional) 香草精 1/2茶匙 （可选择有或无）
- Cinnamon powder (optional) 肉桂粉（可选择有或无）
- Mash banana until fine. Set aside
- Add flour to baking powder. Mix well and set aside
- Cream softened butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time and whisk until well combined
- Add salt, vanilla essence and banana into the butter mixture. Mix well
- Sift in flour and baking powder. Fold gently until the flour and mashed bananas are well combined
- Prepare baking tin (8 1/2 * 4 1/2 * 2 1/2 inch). Brush the base of the tin with oil or butter. Don’t brush the sides as it will be difficult for the cake to rise. Place a sheet of baking paper at the base of the time
- Pour in the batter. Lift the tin slightly above the work surface. Let go of the tin so that it hits the work surface. Repeat 10 times. This helps knock out the air pockets in the batter and the banana cake will rise evenly. Also there will be no big holes on the cake after steaming。
- Smoothen the top part of the cake with a spatula.
- Prepare a 7 * 12 inch aluminium foil. Oil the non shining side. This helps prevent the cake from sticking when it rises. Cover the tin with the aluminium foil, the oiled side on the inside. One side of the aluminium foil closed and the other side leave it open.
- Preboil the water in a wok in advance for steaming.
- Steam on high heat for 45 minutes or until a toothpick once inserted comes out dry. Caution: Water might run out while steaming. After the cake has steamed for 30 minutes until well risen, you may add water to the steamer.
- Remove from wok and remove the aluminium foil. Leave on a stand to cool for 10 minutes. While its hot, sprinkle some cinnamon powder. This gives it a nice golden colour and adds flavour
- Loosen the sides with a spatula or a knife. Place a plate on top of the tin. Flip it over. Then remove the baking tin.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Video on Steamed Banana Cake | 蒸香蕉蛋糕 recipe: