Red tortoise buns are brought to the temple for prayers during the Nine Emperor Gods Festival (“Gao Ong Yah” 九皇大帝/九王爷）。 This Nine Emperor Gods Festival is mainly celebrated in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. This year, the Nine Emperor Gods Festival was celebrated from 28 September 2019 to 7 October 2019. During this period, devotees will go to the temple to pray. Red tortoise buns are usually sold outside the temple. This year, I made some of these red tortoise buns! Thought it might be more sincere instead of buying from the vendors outside the temple. I went to Tow Boo Keong temple in Ipoh last week and brought those red tortoise buns. Two lovely ladies commented that they are cute! Ah worth my effort as I attempted 4 times before making those red tortoise buns look decent!
This recipe makes 6 red tortoise buns!
- 200 grams Pau Flour 低筋面粉 200克
- 50 grams Wheat Starch 澄粉 50克
- 30 grams sugar 糖 30克
- 4 grams baking powder 泡打粉 4克
- 4 grams yeast 酵母 4克
- 145 ml water 水 145毫升
- 15 ml vegetable oil 油 15毫升
- A few drops of red colouring 一点红色素
- 25 ml water 水 25毫升
- Place Pau flour, wheat starch, sugar, baking powder into a large bowl
- Stir well
- Add yeast in the middle of the mixture
- Gradually add water while stirring with a chopstick or spatula
- Gather the flour mixture into a ball
- Add vegetable oil
- Knead in the bowl until all the oil is absorbed into the flour
- Transfer to flat working surface and continue kneading
- Total kneading time about 15 minutes
- Cover dough to prevent from drying and let rest for 20 minutes
- After resting for 20 minutes, divide dough to 3 parts (30 grams, 48 grams and the rest)
- Roll the 48 gram dough into a long strip, cut to 24 parts (2 grams each) to make the legs of the red tortoise bun. Roll into a ball.
- Divide the 30 gram dough into 6 parts (5 grams each) to make the head of the red tortoise bun. Roll into a ball.
- Divide the rest of the dough into 6 parts (approximately 56 grams each) to make the body of the red tortoise bun. Roll into a ball.
- Place the 4 legs underneath the tortoise body
- Cut each leg with one stroke
- Cover all the tortoise dough to prevent from drying up
- Dilute the few drops of red colouring with water
- Use a brush and brush over the body of the tortoise
- Place the head (dab a little water to stick) on top of the body
- Place black sesame seed on the eyes of the tortoise head
- Use a thin metal stick to create the mouth
- Steam on high heat for 10 minutes on boiling water
Full recipe video for Red Tortoise Nine Emperor Gods Festival | 九王爷: