Fried rice has always been one of our family’s favourite dish. Since most of the time we have leftover rice, what better way to spice up the rice other than fried rice. In the past, chinese families would cook fried rice so that the leftover rice will not go to waste. Since then it became part of a typical traditional Chinese cuisine. My dad loves to cook fried rice with dried anchovies, french beans and carrots. There is no one rule to cook fried rice. You can basically use any ingredient to cook fried rice. Today I would like to introduce a simple Egg Fried Rice dish. Its simple and only uses a few main ingredients.
Cooking tips for Egg Fried Rice:
- Use generous amount of oil because the aromatic flavours come of the garlic once it is stir fried with the oil
- Choose garlic that is fresh as the flavours are from the garlic oil
- Use overnight rice or cold rice as it will have less moisture retention. Thus the rice will not be soggy once cooked.
- 4 1/2 cups of steam rice – preferably overnight rice （白饭 3 碗）
- 4 large eggs （ 鸡蛋 1 粒）
- 12 cloves of garlic （蒜头12 粒）
- 100 ml of cooking oil （油 100 ）
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon of light soya sauce （生抽 1 汤匙）
- Remove garlic skin and finely chop into pieces.
- Lightly whisk eggs in a bowl and set aside. Ensure rice is at room temperature.
- Heat 3/4 of oil in the wok. Stir fry the garlic at high heat until fragrant or until slightly brown. Pour in the steam rice. Stir fry until the rice is evenly coated with the fragrant oil.
- Use the ladle and push the rice to once side of the work and leave some space to fry the eggs. Add the remaining oil. Pour in the whisked eggs. Continuously stir fry the egg until about 70% cooked.
- Cover the rice over the egg. Mix the rice and egg.
- Add the light soya sauce, salt and pepper.
- Continue stir frying until most of the moisture is removed. Serve.
Full recipe video for Egg Fried Rice | 蛋炒饭: