This Chinese Steam Egg Recipe is savoury in taste. Chinese Steam Egg is very nutritious for breakfast as its easy to digest and keeps the tummy warm. This recipe explains the basic technique to get a very silky smooth texture for cooking Chinese Steam Eggs. I used "kampung egg" in this recipe to get a rich yellow colour in the steam egg. Kampung eggs are from a special breed of chicken known as "Kampung Chicken" or "Village Chicken" usually available in Malaysia and Singapore. The meat from Kampung chickens are usually leaner and has more elasticity. In this recipe, although I only added some light soya sauce and oil , its still very tasty. So this Chinese Steam Egg Recipe is great is you want to cook something easy, healthy and tasty. You can also add meat and vegetables to this Chinese Steam Egg recipe such as pork, chicken, mushrooms, scallions etc.
- 2 eggs, room temperature 鸡蛋2粒， 室温温度
- Water (ratio 1:2) e.g. Eggs 100 ml: Water 200 ml. Normally I add 100 ml to each egg 水量 （1：2）鸡蛋 100毫升：水200毫升
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 盐1/4 茶匙
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce 生抽 1茶匙
- 1 teaspoon oil/ 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil 油 1茶匙 或 芝麻油 1/4 茶匙
- Lightly beat 2 eggs
- Dissolve salt in water. A little salt is required as a binding agent. Alternatively you can replace the water with chicken stock which will taste even better!
- Add the slightly salted water into the eggs and beat lightly
- Strain the mixture into a bowl to remove bubbles. Bubble will make the steam egg surface have pock marks
- Fill up half wok with water and bring to boil
- Place the bowl on a steaming rack in the wok to steam
- Cover bowl with a plate or aluminium foil so that the steam egg has a smooth surface
- Before steaming, reduce fire to low heat and lift lid slightly
- Steam for 15 minutes
Full recipe video for Chinese Steam Eggs | 鸡蛋羹: